Follow these steps to care for your Irezumi tattoo.
- Soak irezumi for 10-15 minutes in hot bath (preferred) or shower as soon as possible after your session.
- Wash irezumi with mild soap at the end of the soak. Pat dry with paper towel.
- Repeat the soak and wash process before bed, and the next morning.
- Do not allow blood, lymph, or ooze to harden on the surface of the irezumi. Wash off as needed with soap and water.
- Keep tattoo clean and dry for 3 days.
- Use a non perfumed hand lotion starting on day 4 to encourage new skin growth and soothe the tattooed area.
- A very thin layer of bacitracin or aquaphor ointment may be applied to areas where irezumi has scabbed over.
- Continue to keep irezumi clean and moisturized with hand lotion until it is healed.
Please Do Not
- Work out using the body part with the new irezumi added to it, working out other body parts is ok, as long as the irezumi isn’t stressed.
- Swim in fresh or chlorinated water.
- Expose to direct sunlight.
- Pick scabs or scratch at the healing irezumi.
- Touch your fresh irezumi in public, and then touch public items, or vice versa.
To Be Expected
- The above guidelines should be followed until the tattoo is completely healed, which will be within 4-8 weeks.
- Most healing will take place within the first week or two.
- Irezumi will be warm to the touch and painful for a couple days following application.
- Some bruising will be incurred, especially in the areas of the chest, collarbone, armpit, upper shoulder, inner bicep, etc- these will heal with time.
- Longer healing times will occur in areas that bend alot, have thin skin, or do not tattoo well, such as the inner and outer elbow, armpit, etc.
- Swelling will be present for a few days, and sometimes be impressive, especially at the elbow, ankle, etc. Ibuprofen or Naproxen relieves swelling.
- Irezumi will not heal perfectly, inconsistencies will emerge as we are dealing with living tissue and an art that is alive!
Areas Of Concern
- See a doctor or a dermatologist in the rare occurrence of infection, which would likely be caused by a client’s unclean work or home environment.
- Infection, which is very rare, would be indicated by very swollen, very red skin, with deep wounds that ooze yellowish or greenish discharge.
- An allergic reaction, also rare, can occur as a result of the tattoo process. A dermatologist would be recommended.
- An allergic reaction is usually indicated by excessive redness, a breakout of pimples or bumps on or around irezumi.
- In the case of allergic reaction, immediately discontinue use of lotion or ointment being used. This is the most likely cause of the reaction.
- Other causes of allergic reaction are: new laundry detergent, a new soap or personal hygiene product, exposure to environmental allergens.
As Irezumi Ages
- Irezumi will spread and blur over the years.
- Irezumi will be faded with exposure to sun over time.
- Irezumi may temporarily raise in reaction to seasonal allergies or insect bites
- Irezumi may enhance your life, open doors for you, instill desire for you in the opposite sex, and expose you to a life you have never experienced before!